Friday, February 25, 2011

This Language I DO Know


In previous countries it was often obvious that I was a foreigner and therefore probably didn't speak the local language. Here in Poland though, I blend in a little more. So well in fact, that sometimes people will start up a conversation with me in Polish, to which I reply, 'I'm sorry, I only speak English!' However, this morning I went to a place here in Warsaw where I knew the language- a coffee shop.


Filtry Cafe was recommended to me by some locals I met while staying at a hostel. They said that if I wanted good espresso, I should go to Filtry. So I did. I've worked in a couple different coffee shops, and I really enjoy both the environment of cafes and drinking delicious coffee. Walking into a coffee shop is a comfortable experience for me. There's the immediate smell of coffee, the sound of espresso beans being ground, the hiss of a steam wand as the barista makes drinks. It's all very pleasant, and Filtry Cafe was a great place to get some things done this morning! The americano and chocolate-banana muffin didn't hurt, either.