Sunday, February 13, 2011

Göreme

Göreme was our third destination in Turkey, and one that I was very excited about. From the pictures and information I'd seen during my research of Turkey, Göreme looked like a truly amazing place. I was not disappointed!

Göreme is a town built of caves. In the center of the city, hostels, shops, and homes are built right inside these amazing, freestanding, pointed caves, called 'fairy chimneys' by all the guidebooks. Outside the city, there are many valleys and hills filled with these caves, free for the exploring. Matt and I set off one morning to walk around in one such valley. Although we were stopped by a rather long drop at the end of our chosen valley and had to walk all the way back up it, our feet numb from the cold snow, this was really an amazing place. To have the freedom to walk in and climb around such ancient cave homes is just really cool! In Göreme, I:

Was really cold.

Followed lots of random bunny paths.

Saw some horses.

Discovered some cave paintings depicting angels.

Hiked around in the snow.

Investigated a really dark hidden room accessed through a tiny hole.

Stood in an ancient cave church.

Slid down a hill. (The fastest way down.)

Explored a valley.

Next time, Göreme, I will visit in the summer. To be continued...