Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Bambino Bar


'A bar?! What is the EYEotW crew thinking, going to a bar and posting about it?' Well, dear readers, I have been going to a bar. A milk bar.

A milk bar, or bar mleczny, is a place to get fast, good Polish food for cheap. They're a holdover from the days of communism, and were created by authorities as places for workers to get a cheap meal between shifts. There are still many of them today, and even one on the posh Nowy Swiat, an upscale road that runs through the middle of Warsaw to the Old Town.

The one that I like the best so far is right around the corner from the hostel I'm staying at, and is called Bambino Bar. The ladies who work here are a bit more cheerful than at other milk bars, and the guy at the register even speaks English. But speaking English isn't the point of my frequent trips to these delicious eateries. The opposite, actually. I have a mission: by the end of the week, I will be able to go into a milk bar and order dinner. Entirely in Polish.

Here's the main obstacle to this mission: the menu. It's huge (which is good, because it means more food to try) but it's also in Polish, which is a confusing language with a lot of crazy letters tacked on to words. There's a lot to learn and I better get started right now... with lunch.

To be continued...