Tuesday, October 26, 2010

This Is For You, Baron

My dog, Baron, is quite hairy. He sheds this hair wherever he goes - the floor, in the car, my bed, and on the couch (he used to sneak onto it when I wasn't home, but I've since resigned myself to sharing it with all my animals and their hair).

To help control the number of hairbunnies blowing around my apartment, I bought a set of hair clippers and started giving Baron haircuts. It was super fun to watch as all that hair came off in one fell swoop, instead of covering my apartment gradually. I think Baron enjoys having short hair as well, because it means he stays cooler when we play outside under the hot sun.

But I wasn't satisfied with giving my dog a normal haircut. He needed something extra, because he's just that awesome. So I started leaving a strip of longer hair down the middle of his neck and back. That's right - dog mohawk. If he ever got huffy enough about something to make that hair on the back of his neck stand up, he looked extra intimidating.

It's tradition for new sailors, called pollywogs, to shave their heads and swim around the boat (at least on the WTP; other boats have different rituals). After crossing the equator, pollywogs become shellbacks. I was looking forward to this milestone with mostly excitement, and a little bit of trepidation. Would I shave my head? I wasn't sure, but then I thought of Baron and had an idea. I wouldn't quite shave my head, but I would drastically cut my hair. (Sorry mom.)

I copied my dog, Baron, and went with his hairstyle - mohawk!