Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Scent of Home

My parents sent a small package with Adam's parents back when they visited us in Cairns. It contained three things: a card, a flash drive, and a small fabric satchel.

The package was delivered right after my birthday; all its contents reminded me of home, and nothing could have been better. The card was a birthday card with notes from my parents. The flash drive had pictures from home, including some of my parents on their own travels and many of my dog and two cats. There were even videos of Isis following my mom around and Dart doing what he does best- cuddling. The satchel was full of dried lavender, from the plants grown right in front of my house.

Boats can be smelly places, what with the constant heat, close quarters, and potential for mold. I'd like to think that, because of that lavender satchel, my bunk is the best-smelling place on the whole boat. I sewed some string onto it so I could hang it from my shelf right next to my pillow, and now I get the occasional lavender-laden breeze as I'm drifting off to sleep, reminding me of home. <3